Oakland Women’s March
5/7 non-iPhone pictures
3/7 used my new light box (yay new toys!)
5/7 were taken at home (i should go out more)
Summary: 3/7 non-iPhone pictures (The Olympus is conveniently small and has a very fun and fast prime (f1.7), but the Nikon certainly has superior image quality)
I started the week lazily — with an iPhone picture. I had tried to take some pictures of these pens with my DSLR, but the iPhone one was the best of the bunch.
A tokidoki unicorn sitting on my patio table. DSLR + prime lens.
A shot from dinner at Kusakabe. I tried using my DSLR here too, but the iPhone seems to outperform in dim light. Oh how technology has changed.
My newest pen arrived on the 3rd, and there’s a picture of it with my Starbucks planner — they match! Taken with my iPhone.
A photo of my team at lunch at Mourad. Turns out when you’ve set yourself a photo challenge, you bring your camera places.
I wasn’t ambitious enough to set myself goals around drawing or calligraphy, but I do still enjoy trying to do both. Taken with my iPhone.
Moogle inspecting the pool. I’m not sure why he does this… but it’s cute and he looks silly, like a monster may jump out to get him at any moment. DSLR + prime.
Summary: 3/7 – DSLR photos
Well, I’m a day late on my yearly recap (a yearly tradition as of last year). But, I haven’t updated in months, so a day late is better than never.
To start with, I read much less than last year. I ended up reading just a little over half as much as I did last year…
- The Name of the Wind
- The Help
- Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ
- A Darker Shade of Magic
- A Gathering of Shadows
- China Rich Girlfriend
- Between The World and Me
- Buddha Standard Time
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- The Better Angels of Our Nature
- After I do
- The Buddha In the Attic
- Finding Audrey
- On Immunity: An Innoculation
- Good to Great
- Yes Please
- Eat, Pray, Love
- The Book of Unknown Americans
- The Moor’s Account
- Challenger Deep
- Overwhelmed: Work, Love and Play When No One Has the Time
- Everything I Never Told You
- I Don’t Know How She Does It
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
- Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China
But, I did start another blog, but this time with friends — Hand Over That Pen. I really went down the rabbit hole of fountain pens last year, and my “collection” went from about three pens to 15. It’s been quite the adventure (and I’ve met a lot of great people along the way).
I keep forgetting I did this — but it was all-consuming for a few weeks. I renovated —
This was my kitchen before: (from the open house pictures)
And now it’s this:
And, lastly, the places I visited: (also a lighter year)
- Singapore, where I stayed with Tatsie
- Oklahoma City, OK to Las Vegas, NVon a road trip with Jonny
- Kona and Honolulu, HI with family
- Manila, Philippines for Thanksgiving
- Boston, MA & NYC for work
I’ve set myself some goals for the year (as usual), but also am challenging myself to take a photo every day. I’ll be doing weekly recaps here, and more regular posting on my instagram account, @hellokloh.
Katherine’s 365 Day Photo Challenge Rules:
- Post photos somewhere at least once a week
- At least 1/3rd of the photos must not be taken with a smartphone
- Over the year, take at least ten photos in these categories: macro, wide angle, people, Moogle, black & white and daily life.
- Stick to the Dogwood 52 week challenge once a week (this is probably the hardest… we’ll see)