- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 cups of chopped apples (with Gravensteins, no need to peel)
- Preheat the oven to 375F normal oven, 350F in the toaster, and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a handheld mixer with beaters or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and rum. Add the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and even the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes (time depends a lot on the oven etc, check for golden brown), or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool on a rack for about ten minutes. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake. Then flip onto a plate, then the final plate.
For the Fritters
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced apples
- 3/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 cups flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 3/4 cups finely diced apples
- 3/8ths cup milk (I used whole milk)
For the broiled glaze
(for the half recipe, just make this one, with 2.5tbsp of milk)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the finishing glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until pea sized. (Toaster: 375F convect)
- Gently stir in the apples. Then add the milk, stirring just until combined.
- Drop by 2-inch spoonfuls onto a well greased baking sheet. (makes about 12-15 fritters – half is 6) Make the dough mounts flatish (hockey pucks vs mounds)
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until just lightly browned. Meanwhile, make the glaze. Then remove the fritters from the oven, turn the broiler on and immediately brush with the glaze.
- Place the fritters under the boiler, about 3 inches away and broil for 2-4 minutes until the glaze is browned and caramelized. Rotate the pan if needed.
- Let cool on wire rack for several minutes. Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk for the last glaze and brush onto the warm fritters. The are best enjoyed warm.