- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 cups of chopped apples (with Gravensteins, no need to peel)
- Preheat the oven to 375F normal oven, 350F in the toaster, and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a handheld mixer with beaters or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and rum. Add the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and even the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes (time depends a lot on the oven etc, check for golden brown), or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool on a rack for about ten minutes. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake. Then flip onto a plate, then the final plate.