The description is that it’s easy… and it is, if you have lemon juice or don’t hate juicing lemons. This used the juice & zest of 5-6 home grown Meyer lemons.
The original recipe has a lemon glaze, I didn’t make it. The cake is very lemony and not overly sweet, a nice balance without the glaze.
For the syrup
140g lemon juice
115g caster sugar
– Boil all the syrup ingredients together and set aside until needed.
– Let the cakes cool down for a few minutes before brushing with the lemon syrup.
For the cake
400g plain flour
10g baking powder
2g fine sea salt (quarter of a teaspoon)
350g whole eggs (7)
400g caster sugar
30g lemon zest
80g lemon juice
150g unsalted butter, melted
– Sieve the flour and the baking powder together.
– Mix together the whole eggs and sugar, whisking until just combined (not thick and aerated).
– Add the yogurt into the eggs, followed by the zest and the juice.
– Add in the flour until just combined, followed by the melted butter.
– Place into a large loaf tin that’s lined with parchment then greased and floured, and bake at 350F for 60+ minutes (It took me 1.5 hours at 320 then 350).
– Allow the cake to cool a little before gently unmolding from the tin, and place onto a cooling rack.
– Let it cool for five minutes, then pierce with holes all over the cake for the syrup to enter.
– Slowly pour all over with the lemon syrup.