Yield: Dessert for 4 to 6
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups glutinous or sweet rice flour
- 1 cup room temperature water, plus more for steaming
- 1/2 cup peanut meal or black sesame powder – I used 1/2c TJ’s roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt – this amount was a distinctly salted mochi, surprised some folks. Would do less for a more typical “western” level of dessert sweetness.
- Mix the glutinous rice flour and water until a smooth dough forms.
- Steam in a heatproof bowl coated with oil for 30 minutes (covered). Let it sit for 15-20 minutes until it’s handleable but still warm.
- In the meantime, blitz the peanuts, sugar & salt in the food processor until the texture is like lumpy sand.
- Cut mochi into bite size chunks and roll in peanut sugar.
- Serve while warm. Edible the next day, but kinda weird and soggy.