Yesterday I made bagels following this recipe, with a couple changes.
1 1/2 cups warm water, and 1 tablespoon for the egg wash
2 1/4 tsp yeast
4 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 large egg white
Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or coarse salt for topping
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water
2. Mix flour, salt, honey and sugar in a mixer bowl. Add in yeast water.
3. Mix on low for 2 minutes. Then mix on medium for 8. The dough should be dry, but not stiff.
4. Place in an oiled bowl (roll it around so it gets oiled) and cover, for 20 minutes (it should be noticeably puffy)
5. Divide dough into 12 pieces (3oz each), then roll each into a 9in log, then use a 1in overlap to make a bagel shape! Keep the others covered as you work, so the dough doesn’t dry out.
6. Let rest for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 425F, bring pot of water to a simmer (add 1tsp salt and 1tsp baking soda)
7. Stretch bagels if necessary, then boil for 30 seconds each side
8. Mix 1 egg white and 1 tbsp warm water. Brush boiled bagels (sprinkle with toppings)
9. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate and bake for another 10
10. Cool for 30 minutes before eating (then eat soon!)